We had a difficult week last week. Without going into much detail we heard of a potential opportunity that seems to have fallen through by this point. While last week was definitely hard for us, we felt that if the time was right, we were ready to receive a child in our home.
Our baby room is pretty much all set. Obviously it will forever be a work in progress as we add and as a child grows in it, but we have the basics of what you need to welcome a child. First few months, the baby would sleep in our room obviously, but it is definitely good to know that we have everything pretty much set and ready to go.
One thing that we have learned and has been the hardest for us is that with adoption there is no time frame, it isn’t like having biological children that you know you have so many months to prepare for a child, that has been one of the hardest things for us. Yes, we could get a call that a pregnant woman wants to meet us and she may be half way through pregnancy or close to giving birth and that would give us some kind of hypothetical time frame, but we could also just get a call and have to take off. We are grateful that we have both had that talk with our employers that we may just need to leave suddenly one day and start our leave at work, we are both blessed to have understanding bosses that are perfectly OK with that happening.
We are more ready than we have ever been, our home and hearts are so ready for this!
First of all, Happy New Year to all! We hope that this next year brings you what you want and hope for, and while 2016 may have been a rough year for many of us in many ways, the hope of a New Year means a fresh and clean start.
This last year was huge for us as we saw many things fall into place in our road to becoming parents. We started 2016 thinking maybe “this would be the one”, only to be reminded that adoption takes long and is a lot of waiting. This is not without saying that we knew for sure that we would have a baby this past year, but maybe with some hopes that things would move a little faster, and while things did move in the right direction we were reminded that all that is good is worth the wait.
We were however able to make some huge leaps in our journey:
- We attended an incredible training with our adoption agency in which we were re-assured that we are doing the right thing and learned so much about the process. You can get a refresher of that by clicking here.
- After much waiting we (FINALLY) were ready to be taken off from the waiting list for the waiting list and then became a listed family and are officially waiting (hopefully soon) for a call that either a birth family has picked us or the agency got word from a hospital that a baby has been born and they believe that should be our baby.
- We are thankful that we were connected with such a great Social Worker to do our home study this year (click here to read some about it).
- The baby room is turning from just being our spare/overflow room into a real room for a child (still a work in progress though). We purposely wanted to wait until all the other steps mentioned above were met to start setting up the room.
As you can tell, 2016 was a year that saw a lot of good moves in our life, and while we are still waiting for whatever comes next, we are grateful that things have taken the time they have. It is easy for people to say “it shouldn’t take this long to adopt” or “why does it take so long to adopt?”, but for us this has been perfect timing as we have had other things happen this year (Danielle starting Grad school!) and even still working on some fundraisers (as we finally started paying for some of the expenses that come along with adopting.
We don’t know what this new year will bring but we are sure this crazy and wild adoption adventure will continue, and we are excited to share it with you all!
Happy New Year 2017 from the Guerreros!
Well family and friends, this is it, the moment we have been longing and waiting for. Agency paperwork has been sent to have a profile, homestudy approved and completed, adoption book mailed to the agency. Now we just wait for the call.
We have been waiting for this moment to come for a year and a half almost, there is nothing left for us to do but wait. Until now we had a goal in mind like “OK, well now we need to do this, or send this document, etc…”, we had stuff to do, but now all we have left is to wait. At any given time from now on we could get a call from the agency that a birth parent is interested in our profile and would like to meet us or we could get a call that a baby has been born and they feel we would be a good home for him or her. At this point all we have left is to wait and be patient and hope.
The theme of the majority of 2016 for us has been WAIT, be patient, this is a theme that whether we wanted to or not, we learned we had to embrace, we had to do it and we had no way around it. Waiting has been the major theme for us, from moving from a waiting to wait list, to a waiting list and now we officially are an active family with our agency.
The last couple weeks we finally received our completed home study and this was submitted to the agency yesterday, meaning that in the eyes of the State of New Mexico we are fit to adopt parents. We also had to fill out lots of paperwork and go over things that we would be OK and not OK in a child, this last part was hard as we had to go over a list of things that we would be willing, consider or not be willing to parent. Some things we would not have a problem and others we had to cross out the list. We say weird because this list really is something we would even have to think of if we had biological children, and we kept being told that “there is no wrong answer”, but it still felt a little strange to go over what we feel comfortable.
So at this point we basically are finishing up the paperwork (of which there is a lot when you are adopting) and mailing that back to the agency so they can officially show our profile to birth parents. We also just a couple days ago received our photo album, which we will be giving to the agency as well. Once that happens we literally could get a call in a matter of weeks or even months, it is out of our hands completely as we wait to get a call from the agency.
Again, we wait, but this time this could be the final waiting before we become parents.
Just keep on waiting…
Dear Friends and Family,
We know that updates have been a little slow these past couple months. The year started with us getting a notification via email that we were officially being moved to the waiting list with the adoption agency we are working with (in case you missed that, you can read it here) and then news just kind of stopped there. This year has been many things so far, but one thing we have really learned is to be patient. We thought the wait would get easier, but in a sense it has not.
So what does the title of this blog post mean?
In the midst of wondering and of (again) continued to be reminded that patience seems to be theme of our lives right now, we decided to get in touch with the agency because it had literally been about 2 months since we had heard any news from them. We knew we were in their minds because the check we sent along with our application fee cleared right away, yet we had not heard anything at all from them after that.
The agency had previously told us that we were moving into the official waiting list and that it would probably still be some time until things moved on in the process. Well we found out a couple things from that:
- We have moved from being waiting family #5 to #3. This may not sound like a huge move, but for a small agency that only works with 10 active families at a time it is. This means that 2 families recently completed their journey of adoption and had their new boy or girl with them (that’s awesome for them!).
- We will more than likely be attending their orientation/training for new active families in June of July. This will take place in Albuquerque and they let us know we will probably be included in that one because they only have these in a quarterly basis.
- There is a pretty good chance we will be conducting our home study soon. OK so this one is more tentative than the other ones because it depends on how soon the other 3 families that are waiting for their babies to be born complete the process, but the representative from the agency we keep in contact with felt very confident that we should be starting the homestudy process around the time we attend the training.
So there you have it, some small news for the moment. It was encouraging to know from the agency that they are expecting a good number (and I’m guessing maybe that’s 4 or 5) to complete their adoption processes within the next few months, which is why they are confident we will move on soon. We are not concerned about when this happens because for all we know our birth mom may already be carrying our baby…or not, God has His timeline and we know that in His time this will all happen.